Posted .

Chipped teeth and minor dental fractures are often limited to a tooth’s enamel layer. In some of these cases the affected tooth might not even cause pain or heightened sensitivity. Yet, as time goes on the minor textures in the tooth’s enamel layer can start to accumulate food, plaque and other bacterial deposits. This can eventually start to foster an area of tooth decay deep within the already damaged tooth.

With timely attention, a qualified dentist like Dr. Rani Ramnath might be able to treat the tooth by applying a dental filling. Most fillings are made from either amalgam or composite resin. If an area of tooth decay has developed in the affected tooth enamel or the structural integrity of the tooth has been compromised, there might not be sufficient tooth material to secure a dental filling. In a case like this the dentist might recommend treating the tooth with a dental crown.

This will completely replace the tooth’s enamel layer with either gold, a metal alloy, or dental porcelain. If the sensitive core structure of the tooth has been compromised by the dental fracture or has recently developed tooth decay, the dentist might need to perform a root canal before she places the dental crown.

If you live in the Clayton, Ohio, area and you have a chipped, fractured, or otherwise traumatized tooth, you should call 937-832-8000 to seek treatment with at Hoke Road Dental.